Monday, March 9, 2009

Magic Tree House Date

On Saturday I was able to go on a date with my Abbott. We went to see “Magic Tree House: The Musical” at The Walton Arts Center.

Here is Abbott before the show. Unfortunately, we couldn’t take ANY pictures during the show (even without a flash). I decided to be a good example and obey.

 


The show was actually pretty good…better than I expected. Abbott’s favorite part was when all of the people in Camelot were frozen. He thought it was pretty neat that they could stay still so long. He tried it, but discovered that being still isn’t one of his talents. My favorite part was when Jack and Annie fought off the dragons!

During intermission we saw Mary Pope Osborne (the author of MTH) sitting a few rows behind us.
 


The picture is a little blurry because there were so many kids moving around and I didn’t want to use the flash. I figured pictures were legal because it wasn’t actually part of the show, but I didn’t want to draw attention to myself. It was really neat to see her. She was on stage before the show and talked about how she doesn’t go to many shows, but she really wanted to come to Fayetteville because of all the neat things the Walton Arts Center was doing.

After the show with Jack and Annie (sort of...)
 


After the show we went to lunch. I really, really love going on dates with my kids. We only do it a couple times a year (each), and I think that is what makes it really special. I get to spoil them for this one day. Soda with lunch? Sure. 50 cents for the dumb claw game? Sure. Eat without your hands? (only Abbott!) Sure. You get the picture. All of the things that I say no to every other day of the year suddenly become a yes.

Needless to say, they LOVE dates with mom! Abbott gave me a big hug on Saturday and said “this is the best date ever!”

Which is why I do it. I want them to love dates with mom when they are 16. Do you think there is a chance? It will probably cost me more than 50 cents.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Brigette Little said...

How fun! My kids have LOVED the Magic Tree House books (thus our dog named Jack). How fun to see Mary Pope Osborne there! I need to make the time to do dates with the kids more often. Thanks for the reminder!

Darrell and Alissa said...

How fun! Sure you can still take him out when he's 16- I am SURE it won't be 50cents though!! My brother and siter in law take their kids out on a date for their 16th birthday- their kids actually enjoy it- it's usually a more formal type date- I thought it was a cute idea~

Familia Morales said...

Very fun! What lucky kids to get to go on special dates with you!

Coolcam said...

How fun! I love mommy dates too, though they don't happen very much. Our big "dates" this year are going to a real play at the Playhouse with mom. It will be fun.

Maria Draper said...

You are a great mom! I hope when my kids are that old they love to go on dates with me.

Leslie said...

You are awesome Aubrey!