Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Old Enough to be a Senator...Partying Like a Rockstar!

Did you know that you have to be 30 to be a United States senator? It's true, and as of August 28th...I qualify! (Don't worry, I'm not planning a senate run, although beating Blanche Lincoln would be better than winning the lottery.)

So far I think 30 is pretty good. On the eve of my birthday my friends vandalized my house with beautiful decorations.

The morning of my birthday Aaron set my alarm to wake me up to "My Next 30 Years" by Tim McGraw and Bethany called and played "Happy Birthday" by NKOTB into the receiver. Another friend watched my girls so I could go to lunch with Aaron. And when I went to wash "honk I'm 30" off of my van, the guy running the carwash gave me my very own sucker. How's that for feeling special!

I had a wonderful birthday, but there wasn't too much time for relaxing!

I decided that for the big 3-0, all I wanted was a big party. I threw myself a huge 80's bash! So Friday and Saturday were spent preparing, but it was so worth it!

I reused the decorations that my pranksters made for me...thanks!



Everything was done in neon pink and neon green. The tables had bright tule with bright roses, surrounded by a variety of items from the 80's. Luckily my sister is a collector, so she supplied a lot of old (well, not THAT old) toys.



On the walls I had a bunch of old movie posters and pictures of people, events, and things from the 80's. Food was done by chik fil a...not 80's, but yummy! We also had cheese balls and cool ranch Doritos, which felt 80's to me! And there were plenty of Reese's Pieces and Pop Rocks on hand to satisfy a sweet tooth!


We started out the night with a "name that 80's TV theme song" and I was pretty impressed. Many of them were guessed after only a few notes. I think Dane got the cartoons after one note. I had a lot of fun going through all of the shows from the 80's.

I was like 10 in 1989, so the closest I ever got to Madonna was the tape that I played in my brown Fisher Price cassette player. I crimped my hair and tight rolled my jeans and used way too much hairspray on my way too big bangs. But I never got to wear gobs of makeup and piles of jewelry and fishnets and lace and miniskirts and heels.

Until now...


I got to be an 80's rock star and my wonderful husband (yes, that's Aaron in those purple snakeskin pants) was right there with me! Doesn't he look like he stepped right our of a hair band?

Here he is without the jacket...gotta love the tatoo arm! I kept asking everybody "is my hair going flat?" And they would look at me and just laugh. Dana thought I was wearing a wig from a distance. It didn't even begin to go flat! I have the perfect 80's hair. It is super thick and naturally wavy frizzy. I keep hoping that the big hair will come back with all of the other 80's fashion. I do big hair well!


We had so much fun putting our costumes together! I insisted that everybody come dressed in full 80's style and my friends did not disapoint!

My mom and sisters


Bethany and Matt


Sharon and Matt...love the "Save Ferris" shirt!


Amy O., Amy B., Stefani, Me and Nicole


Pedro and Melissa


Cori and Shelly


Lindsey and Brett




We danced and danced and danced! Everybody had a great time breaking it down to some old favorites. 80's music is the best!

Of course we slowed it down for a little "You're the Inspiration".


Lindsey taught us the thriller dance


Aaron was a great MC...


The Air Guitar Showdown was the most hilarious thing I have ever witnessed. Dane and Jeff were the awesome winners! With air guitar skills like that it was impossible to pick one winner.

Dane's skills are highlighted in this video


I had a trivia game and a Rubick's cube game that we didn't get to. I planned a bunch of games in case my friends were wallflowers, but I need not to have worried! Everyone (well maybe not EVERYone, but most) really knew how to bust a move!

The winners of the costume competition were Jessica B. and Ard H. who were dressed at completely opposite ends of the 80's spectrum!


The whole crew



The gals

They picked me up...they actually picked me up!


The dudes


I will add a picture of the cake when I get one from my sister...it was the best cake I've ever had!!!

Thank you everyone who attended! It was so much fun and the perfect way to celebrate my new decade! Even better...the hotel took care of the clean up!

I would love any additional pictures if you have any.

7 comments:

Hooper Family said...

Fun, fun times! Thanks for a great party!!

Nicole said...

That was a fun night! You got some great pictures to capture the evening!!

Familia Morales said...

That was an awesome party!

Darrell and Alissa said...

Such a fun party!! Who can be sad to turn 30 when they celebrate like that?!

Chris 'n Leah said...

Oh my goodness, this was such a fun post. What a crazy trip down memory lane! Happy birthday. I don't think you'll be forgetting this party any time soon. Aaron - I never would have guessed you looked so naturally like a hard core rocker. Thanks for sharing!

- Christian

Joanne, Duane said...

This was such a fun post. It looked like you all had a great time. You learned from the best - your Mom. She had the best parties in the 80's - I know from experience. Everyone wanted to be invited one of her parties. Happy Birthday Aubrey. Have a great year ahead.

Maria Draper said...

That looks like it was a fun birthday. And welcome to 30 it is great.