Wednesday, February 10, 2010

White Trash Family of Six

I'm a thrift store girl and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

In high school a bought a vintage floor-length floral gown at the Salvation Army. I chopped it off and wore it to school with a pair of silver platform sandals. I probably looked ridiculous, but in my memory, it was awesome.

I have frequented thrift stores ever since. Mainly due to my love of costumes. Incredible homemade costumes don't grow on trees...you have to create them!

I have also found some great deals on clothes and toys for my kids (and myself). Aaron does NOT share my love of thrift stores, so I generally avoid buying anything for him.

So when I heard that Bentonville was getting a Goodwill...naturally I was excited! (We have a Salvation Army that is gross and a Helping Hands that is way over-priced.)

I decided that I was going to head to the Goodwill on opening day last Thursday to dig for bargain-priced treasures. We had a 70's party to attend the next day and I still didn't know what I was going to wear. What luck!

The next day, this picture ran in the local paper. I have to add that this was the one and only picture with the article.

Besides the fact that Adeline and I are both making funny faces, it's not too bad.

Until you read the caption:

Adeline Patterson, 2, kicks back in a shopping cart Thursday as her mother, Aubrey, searches for clothes for their six-member family during the grand opening of the Goodwill Store and Donation Center in Bentonville.

Really? "Searches for clothes for their six-member family".

Thank goodness we now have a Goodwill in town so my kids won't be running around naked anymore.

If Adeline wasn't so darn cute, I wouldn't get stopped for this sort of thing. I would be able to slip inconspicuously in and out of the local Goodwill like everybody else.

I guess it doesn't bother me too much since I was back at the Goodwill again today snagging some deep blue velvet for a Medieval Party this Saturday. This time I made it out without being caught by the paparazzi :)



7 comments:

Maria Draper said...

Your story made us both laugh. I wish I could have been there with you. I love thrift stores. That is another reason to make it to Utah sometime. The DI (Deseret Industries) is the best thrift store ever, and the money you spend goes back to the Church's Humanitarian Aid fund. My sister-in-law and I stock up on clothing at DI whenever we are in Utah.

Brigette Little said...

That is so funny! I feel like that sometimes when I'm shopping with my kids and a million coupons. I actually had another mom stop me once and asked me to show my coupon box to her teenage daughter, so she would know that her mom was not the only one sarrying those embarrasing things!

Chelsie said...

Hee Hee... Hee Hee hee.. I am SOOO giggling at this. Hee Hee Hee Hee....

Ah, enough of that.

Nope, hee hee hee...

Ahh...

Darrell and Alissa said...

So glad you have found a way to dress your family of 6- I know it's tough!:)

Coolcam said...

Hahaha! That's funny :D. I have been asked by some nosy people "are they all yours?". Like having 4 kids is absolutely horrifying.
I'm proud when I get a bargain! Keep it up ;).

Hooper Family said...

I'm not sure if we can be friends anymore. I can't be associating with no Arkansas white trash!

Jen said...

OH this is so funny!!! I love how it just makes it sound like your abnormally large family forces you into scavenging for clothing. Love it!!