Thursday, July 17, 2008

Not So Technologically Inclined

I used to think of myself as quite technologically savvy. I knew my way around a computer, a cell phone, a camera, and any other device thrown my way.

Then one day I got old. OK, I am going to be 29 next month...that's hardly "old"...but in technical terms, I'm practically ancient!

I was in high school when the internet got going...in college before I had ready access to it. My family had a computer growing up, but I only used it to play Oregon Trail. I got my first cell phone when I was pregnant with my first child. Back then they were used for talking. I have sent exactly ONE text message in my life...it took me 10 minutes to punch in 4 words. My niece has since given me a tutorial, so maybe I will attempt it again one day.

This is my ipod.

 


Aaron got it for me a couple of years ago, and I have used it only a handful of times. I am going to pitifully confess that I avoid it because it is too complicated! What's so bad about popping in a CD? Simple...easy...no cords...no synching...no uploads...downloads...no software...no silly little buttons. Which brings me back to my point.

My status as "old person" was sealed yesterday.

As everybody knows and is insanely excited about, the final book in the Twilight series, Breaking Dawn, comes out in 15 days, 10 hours, and 39 minutes. Well, I NEED to read the first three again before the release. Since there is no way I can neglect my family that much, I decided to listen to it instead.

So I dusted off the ipod.

My dear husband loaded the books onto the silly little thing, and I began happily listening to my love story about a whiney teenager and a vampire. I went about business as usual, until I had to vacuum. The sound wouldn't go up! I couldn't pause it either! None of the buttons would work! So I had to let the drama go on without me as I speedily ran the vacuum through my living room.

I finished, popped the ear buds back in, and called Aaron. I was whinier than Bella as I informed him of my disobedient ipod. He calmly said "do you have it on hold?" What?!?!? Hold? Ohhh...you mean the big switch on the top that says "hold".

 


Apparently the hold switch "locks" the buttons, and I had accidentally flipped it on!

Aaron called me an old person...and I had to agree!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Darrell and Alissa said...

You are more tech savy then me! I need someone to walk me through everything a few times- then I can do it- I can't ever just figure it out!

Maria Draper said...

If it makes you feel better, I am still older than you. I already had my 29th birthday. I have never sent a text message and just got a cell phone this year. Besides that all these new newly weds keep moving into our student ward. They are children of the late 80's and count how long they have been married in months (we have been married for 104 months). I am reminded I am old almost every day. Yet you have four wonderful children and a good husband to show for your age.